1) Our Self is Consciousness, Awareness, Presence, the witness. This consciousness is God. Consciousness is all-pervasive and complete. All that exists is that still, silent ocean of Consciousness. It is God, absolute consciousness, that has become the universe, the perceiver and the perceived.
2) Our suffering arises in separation from this experience and understanding. Our divine nature becomes hidden. In that separation, self-cherishing arises and ego creates a separate, false identity; a created dream. We believe that our false created identity, our separate individual existence, is real.
3) Living in our created dream of separation we experience the pairs of opposites and experience pain. In this state of painful separation, fear arises. In a state of fear, we put up walls and the experience of separation intensifies. We experience resistance, attachment and aversion.
4) Grace, God’s power of revelation, continually functions to bring about our enlightenment, realization, remembrance, illumination and recognition of our Self. Our life’s purpose is to know our Self, our divinity. Every situation, circumstance and moment exist and unfold to reveal our divinity.
5) Our yearning and search for happiness is the power of grace seeking its fulfillment in realization. We search for happiness outside of ourselves, in sensory pleasures, wealth, power, places, acquisitions, acceptance, relationships and possessions. They constantly disappoint and our lives become a struggle of grasping and pushing away. Our minds become a whirlwind consumed with this outward search and disappointment.
6) Then grace leads us inside. While initially we confront the mental and emotional struggle going on inside, ultimately we realize that our search for happiness is fulfilled within when we experience the still ocean of consciousness. Realization unfolds, step by step, through grace, surrender, acceptance, compassion, allowing, service, peace, silence and stillness. We each find these through our particular path.