There are three basic achievements that a person seeks.
The first is Karma Yoga. This is the highest achievement in the field of action. This creates successful action, assuring prosperity in the relative field of life.
The second is Bhaki Yoga. This is the highest achievement in the field of devotion. This achieves the full development of the heart.
This third is Gyana Yoga. This is the highest achievement in the field of knowledge. This achieves the full potential of the mind.
All achievements arise from a foundation, from a fountainhead of intelligence and power. When one area of life is lacking achievement, we can be assured that the connection to the wellspring, to the fountainhead is being pinched off or blocked.
I have had countless conversations with friends and seekers over the years who are in distress. Their stories are the same – I am in a state of lack and limitation and need a job or more money. I am in need of a partner and true love, or a better partner. I need some achievement and recognition but don’t possess the time, education, resources or support to get it. When I am asked, I know the answer is always to connect to the fountainhead, the transcendent aspect of our life; the Self. But this can be a long-term answer, even as it is the complete answer. So, here’s the short, more immediate answer:
- If there is lack, that is darkness. Do not try to fix, attack, remedy or change the lack. If you do, you are flailing your arms and futilely wasting your energy trying to hold or expel the darkness. Darkness is ended by bringing light, a second element. Leave the first element, darkness, alone and quit giving lack and need attention and power. Focus on the light and the expansion.
- Free yourself from what does not belong to you. Anger, greed, resistance and attachment are not who you really are and these imposters drain your energy and fill your mind with chaos. You can calm the mind by remembering God or changing your focus, thoughts, attention to the light.
- Be one-pointed in your devotion to your authenticity. If you are enveloped by what you are not, including a fake image and a created self to please others and gain approval and love, your connection to the fountainhead is impeded. Be true to your personality, be honest in what supports your evolution and remain true to a righteous and compassionate expression of your Self. You are an expression of God. God is acting through you. Allow that and don’t resist that.
- Only when you become yourself can you surrender to God, your Self. If you remain only in the field of action, in the lack, in the mental chaos, in the pain and turmoil, you will remain disconnected to the wellspring of intelligence and power. Connect to deeper aspects of your Self. A life dedicated only to action and outward success will always feel empty.
- Every action has happiness as its aim. (happiness is different from pleasure) Evolution supports your happiness. Evolution is the expansion of creativity, peace, intelligence and energy. Everyone is a unique expression of God and it is important to be involved in your dharma, that which upholds your evolution, and not someone else’s.
- Study and practice bring success. Get clarity, get authenticity, get knowledge and act.